- Windows XP and 7 have proven to be stable (and memories of Windows ME are mostly gone)
- There are many more distributions for Linux, esepecially commercial options
- Distributions like Ubuntu and CentOS have made GNU/Linux more friendly
- Options for word processing, spreadsheets, etc. have grown
- Apple and their products have changed considerably. However, their philosophy has not seemed to changed.
- Microsoft Silverlight came and is on the way out.
- Wine and solutions like Transgaming have matured.
However, many things have not changed, like the Microsoft FUD war, the BSDs' installation UI, and the sky is the limit for Linux (except when it comes to the year of the Linux desktop).
So... why are a lot of us still using Windows? What would it take for us to switch?"